The Queen’s Speech has promised a Brexit Freedoms Bill to tackle the legacy of EU law and change the post-Brexit regulatory landscape. The aim is to set Britain’s economy free from the EU rule book, and return to UK laws.
What should the focus be? Politeia’s new series, Getting UK Business Down to Business, will put the spotlight on services – financial services, the digital economy and professional services. What policy is needed for the UK’s services to make the most of Brexit freedoms, to prosper and trade globally?
Politeia’s next event on Wednesday 29 June, 6.30pm – 7.30pm, will focus on The UK Financial Services, The Law and the Regulators – What Policy is Best for a Dynamic, Free and Secure State?
Speaking will be:
- The Rt Hon Suella Braverman QC MP, Attorney General, England and Wales, Advocate General, Northern Ireland
- The Rt. Hon. Dame Elizabeth Gloster DBE, PC, One Essex Court, international arbitrator and former Lady Justice of Appeal, 2013-2018 and former Vice-President of the Civil Division of the Court of Appeal
- Barnabas Reynolds, Global Head of Financial Institutions, Shearman and Sterling LLP, author of forthcoming The UK Financial Services, The Regulators and the Law
- Sir Bill Cash MP, European Scrutiny Committee
- Dr Sheila Lawlor, Founder and Research Director – to chair
- What should the aims be for UK financial services regulation?
- Where is regulation needed and where should it be avoided?
- Who should control our regulators?