Making the Energy Markets Work for the UK- Moving to a mixed energy supply
Thursday 6th July, 12 noon-1 pm
Lord Callanan- Minister for Energy Efficiency and Green Finance(Keynote speaker) and panel*
UK government policy is for this country’s carbon emissions to be neutral by 2050, that is to reach ‘net-zero’. For now, renewable technologies can not supply enough energy to meet demand -to power homes and industry in a modern digital economy and for high-speed electric railways. How then, can the UK move to secure, cleaner and affordable energy without damaging the economy and while keeping the lights on?
On Thursday 6th July (12 noon- 1 pm), Politeia will be holding a special event to discuss the themes in its forthcoming publication Making the Energy Markets Work for the UK – Moving to a mixed energy supply.
Speakers will include:
- Lord Callanan, Minister for Energy Efficiency and Green Finance
- Dr Christian Bjornsov, Professor of Economics, Aarhus University
- Julian Keites, Director of Sustainability, Green Biofuels
- Lord Howell of Guilford, Former Energy Secretary and Chair, Windsor Energy Group
- Professor Syed Kamall, Research Consultant, Politeia, Co-author and editor, Making the Energy Markets work for the UK will introduce and chair.
Speakers will consider the political, economic, and wider business perspective and such questions as:
- How can the energy markets be best deployed for the UK?
- What energy sources can be developed to power the UK in addition to wind, solar and other renewables, in the short, medium, and long term?
- Is there an affordable and economically sustainable route to carbon neutrality in pursuit of the UK’s ‘net-zero’ economy
The event will take place on Thursday 6th July 2023, 12 noon – 1 pm. If you would like to attend, please e mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, position, organisation, and daytime contact phone number, and we shall reserve a place for you. If you would like to bring a guest, please provide their name, position organisation, email address, and daytime contact phone number.