EU How to Leave the EU – Legal Options, Political Decisions
Steve Baker MP, Deputy Chair, ERG, Minister for Exiting the European Union (2017-18)
David Collins, Professor of International Economic Law, City, University of London
Barnabas Reynolds, Partner, Shearman & Sterling
Sir Bernard Jenkin MP, Public Administration & Constitutional Affairs Select Committee
Wednesday 5th June
As the UK prepares to change Prime Minister and its direction on Brexit, Politeia’s next event, How to Leave the EU – Legal Options, Political Decisions, will focus on the political and legal options. A panel of lawyers and politicians will consider such questions as:
Leaving the EU:
- How should the new government change direction to honour manifesto pledges?
- What if anything is salvageable from the Withdrawal Agreement?
- On what basis should the UK now seek to leave the EU on 31st October?
Future Trade: What steps are needed to prepare for:
- Two-way free trade agreement with the EU?
- WTO trade (the no deal) scenario for goods and services trade?
- What benefits and disadvantages would either bring?
The Political Declaration – A sound or flawed basis for independent trade?
Speaking will be:
- Steve Baker MP, Deputy Chair, ERG; Minister for Exiting the European Union (2017-18)
- David Collins, Professor of International Economic Law, City, University of London. Author, The EU, The UK and Global Trade: A New Roadmap to be launched on 5th
- Barnabas Reynolds, Partner, Shearman & Sterling LLP. Author, A Blueprint for Brexit: The Future of Global Financial Services and Markets in the UK.
- Sir Bernard Jenkin MP, Chairman, Public Administration & Constitutional Affairs Select Committee.
This will be Politeia’s first event since the prime minister announced her resignation, for politicians and lawyers to discuss the change of direction and the proposals in David Collins’ The EU, The UK and Global Trade: A New Roadmap to be launched at the meeting.
The event will take place on Wednesday 5th June 2019, 12.30pm – 1.30pm. If you would like to attend, please respond to this e-mail by writing to email@example.com with your name, position and organisation, and we shall put you on the list. If you would like to bring a guest, please let us have the name and contact details.